Borough of Rumson Operation Plan
(Updated April 30, 2020)
Due to the situation surrounding COVID-19, and to adhere to recent public health and government recommendations, we will update this operations plan as it becomes necessary. This plan is now in effect, and will remain in effect until further notice.
The Borough of Rumson will NOT be accepting CASH PAYMENTS until further notice.
Public access to Borough Hall and the Charles S. Callman Court is CLOSED until further notice.
Please see the following list, by department, for more information:
- Borough staff will continue to conduct business via phone, email and fax.
All payments, permit requests and documents requiring borough review/approval can be mailed to Borough Hall, or left in the overnight drop box found in the main entrance of Borough Hall:
Borough of Rumson
80 East River Road
Rumson, NJ 07760
- For payments, please call Borough Hall (732-842-3300) prior to dropping off or mailing in your payment to insure the correct amount. If the incorrect amount is received by borough staff, your payment will still be deemed late or outstanding and will collect interest if applicable.
Department of Public Works
- All garbage and recycling collection and pickup dates will remain as scheduled as of March 20, 2020 and until further notice.
- NO WIPES IN THE PIPES! Only flush toilet paper down the toilet. Never flush: "flushable" wipes, baby wipes, paper towels, etc. They are not biodegradable. Flushing these items results in back-ups within the Borough's sewage lines, causing sewer backups into homes. Please dispose of these items in your trash bins to be picked up with your garbage. Read this memo from the Two Rivers Water Reclamation Authority.
- A reminder that the Rumson Recycling Center is still open for drop off at its normal hours. Here is the Recycling and Information Chart that you can download.
Sewer, Taxes & Assessor Information
- The borough tax office will continue to conduct business via phone, email and fax. All payments for sewer and taxes can be mailed to Borough Hall or left in the overnight drop box found in the main entrance of Borough Hall.
- For sewer and tax payments, please call Borough Hall (732-842-3300) prior to dropping off or mailing in your payment to insure the correct amount. If the incorrect amount is received by borough staff, your payment will still be deemed late or outstanding and interest will increase.
- Also please note that we cannot accept post-dated checks. Post-dated checks will be returned and payment will remain outstanding.
- Second Quarter Tax Grace Period EXTENDED Through June 1, 2020 – In accordance with Governor Murphy’s Executive Order No. 130, allowing towns to extend the tax payment grace period, the Borough Council has adopted a Resolution extending the second quarter tax payment grace period to June 1, 2020. As required by State statute, interest will be charged back to the due date of May 1, 2020 for any payments received after the close of business on June 1, 2020.
- NJ Homestead Benefit – In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the State of NJ has placed funding for Homestead Credits in reserve to meet emergency and statutorily required obligations. There will not be any Homestead Benefit adjustments to the second quarter taxes due May 1, 2020.
- To speak with Borough Assessor Erick Aguiar, please email him directly for all questions/conference call requests: email@example.com.
Construction, Zoning & Planning
- There will be access to the foyer of Borough Hall for all applicants who wish to file a permit application. When arriving, please follow the instruction above the Permit drop slot. Please note, this is different than the Drop box for envelope payments.
- Should your permit application not fit into the drop slot set up, please call 732-842-3022 and someone will assist you.
For Inspections in Rumson, Fair Haven, and Little Silver:
- Only open air inspections for new construction, additions, pools, decks, etc. will be conducted at this time, with on-site contractors at a safe distance.
- Progress inspections for occupied structures, under construction, will be conducted in the following manner: The agent or homeowner shall be at a safe distance from the inspector or have a mask. It anyone in the home feels ill please call and cancel at 732-842-3022
- Minor work, i.e., hot water heaters, furnaces, air conditioner replacements, will be conducted after the COVID-19 outbreak has passed.
- We will utilize any and all means available to us with the current technology to enhance the inspection process.
- For Rumson and Fair Haven only: Until further notice, please use this Smoke Detector, Carbon Monoxide Alarm(s) & Fire Extinguisher Home Certification form. Upon completion, please email the form to Construction@RumsonNJ.gov
Rumson Police Department
- The Rumson Police Department has suspended the December 1 - March 31, 3:00 am – 5:00 am overnight parking restrictions through March 31, 2020.
- Non-emergency reports will now be taken over the phone to minimize exposure during the ongoing situation with COVID-19. Rumson PD will still be responding to ANY emergencies or urgent calls throughout the duration of this situation and ask for patience and understanding.
- The Rumson Police Department would like to remind everyone to please lock your cars and take your keys with you. All vehicles which have been stolen in Rumson have been unlocked with the keys in the vehicle. The simple act of taking your key inside with you and locking the vehicle will help to reduce the possibility of your vehicle being stolen/burglarized.
- The Rumson Police Department remains vigilant in providing the Borough of Rumson residents the most accurate and up-to-date information in an effort to remove unnecessary panic surrounding false information and news that is circulating various social media platforms. We invite our residents to visit the Rumson PD Facebook Page HERE in order to read the FACTS surrounding COVID-19.
- Municipal Court Sessions are CANCELED through 4/26/2020.
Borough of Rumson Meetings
- The following Borough of Rumson meetings have been CANCELED until further notice: Planning Board, Zoning Board, and the Recreation, Environmental, Historic Preservation, Navesink River Municipalities, and Shade Tree Commission meetings. Additionally, all meetings at Bingham Hall are CANCELED until further notice.
Parks & Recreation Department
- All Rumson Recreation events and programs are CANCELED until further notice.
- All public playgrounds in Rumson are CLOSED until further notice.
- Parks will remain open. We recommend residents exercise caution when visiting public parks and adhere to recommended social distancing guidelines with public health and safety in mind. On March 16th, 2020, Governor Phil Murphy signed Executive Order No.104 to implement aggressive social distancing measures throughout the state. Please click here to view the announcement.
- Please remember that the parks are a public area for the entire community to enjoy. In addition to adhering to the above CDC guidelines for social distancing, we ask that everyone continue to CLEAN UP after their pets.
- Tennis Courts Open – Online Registration Required For Use - The Rumson public tennis courts will open Friday, May 1st. Tennis court reservations will be required to play. Please visit Rumson's Online Tennis Registration System to reserve your time and location. Please read the recommendations from the USTA on player safety prior to play, Playing Tennis Safely: Player Tips and Recommendations. We ask that parents not allow their children to use the use the tennis courts for anything other than tennis.
Rumson Boat Ramp is Open – Valid Permit Required - Beginning May 1, 2020, permits are required for use of the boat ramp located behind Borough Hall. To register:
- Download and print the Borough of Rumson Boat Ramp Application and the Boat Ramp Rules and Regulations (for your records).
- Due to the Borough’s current operation plan, completed applications are only accepted via USPS mail or the Borough’s overnight drop box located in the foyer of Borough Hall.
- Permit applications must include a completed registration form and a check – NO CASH. Completed applications will be processed and permits will be mailed out the next business day.
This plan will remain in effect until further notice. With the fluid nature surrounding COVID-19, we expect that this plan will continue to change as we move forward. We will publish updates as they become available.